Why does the school principal, Mr. Jenkins, want Meg to accept that her father is never coming home? Should Meg believe him? Why? Why not?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stgpadmin
    stgpadmin

She mentions that her mother is a scientist, and that she has not stated that her father isn’t coming home, so until she does, she won’t believe otherwise. I think this is wise. Mr Jenkins has no extra information to Meg that I can tell, so he is just assuming rather than knowing.

stgpadmin

I think the principal is saying this because Meg is not doing so well in school and she seems to feel sad about her dad, and Mr Jenkins wants Meg to do well in school and he thinks that her dad is making her feel sad and distracted with her learning and that if he gets her to believe that her dad is gone then she will be able to focus more on her learning. I think that Meg shouldn’t believe Mr Jenkins because if the thought of her father not coming back she would feel even more sad and depressed and she would be even less focused on school because it’s better to think of the positive things rather then the negative things.

stgpadmin

I think that Mr Jenkins cares that Meg shall do well in school because the thought of her father and him coming home or not seems to be distracting her. I think that Meg should believe that her father isn’t coming home because it’s been so long since they’ve heard from him and Meg just needs to accept that her father may not be alive or may not be coming home. I agree with Natalie that deep down Meg is still thinking about it and she’s still sad.

stgpadmin

I really like that answer Natalie; well thought out!

stgpadmin

I think the principal wants Meg to accept that her father is not coming back because I think the principal thinks that if she does then she will focus on school and have more of a positive attitude but I think Meg should not believe him because she will just be depressed and still won’t focus on school. The principal does not know for sure if her dad is dead. If Meg believes him then she will probably lose hope and won’t focus so I hope she sticks to what she believes.

stgpadmin

“If Meg believes him then she will probably lose hope and won’t focus so I hope she sticks to what she believes.
    That is a really interesting thought Astrid!

stgpadmin

Meg doesn’t believe Mr. Jenkins because believing him would just make her feel very sad and depressed it would affect her life even more than what it is. She also believes her mum because she is a scientist and I wouldn’t blame her. She doesn’t want the opinion of someone else to get in the way of hers and I totally respect that. Never lose hope!

stgpadmin

I think that she won’t believe him because maybe she wants to prove him wrong about something. She also doesn’t want to believe him because in the book i’m pretty sure she said in her head ” How would he know? He doesn’t know me that well”

stgpadmin

I think Mr Jenkins wants Meg to accept the fact that her dad is ‘never’ coming home because she thinks that he is and Mr Jenkins thinks that it is distracting her from doing her work. I think he is wrong and Meg should still believe that he is coming home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.